Fordyce Spots Support Forum
The purpose of fordyce spots - Printable Version

+- Fordyce Spots Support Forum (http://www.fordycespotsforum.com)
+-- Forum: Fordyce Spots / Sebaceous Prominence (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Treatments and home remedies (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The purpose of fordyce spots (/showthread.php?tid=91735)

The purpose of fordyce spots - bb1122 - 06-26-2019 01:03 AM

There is no scientific consensus for the purpose or reason of ectopic sebacous glands (fordyce spots), but it is mainly attributed to fetal development and hormones in puberty.
I have an idea I'd like to hear your opinion/experience about.

First, as to my condition, I have a huge amount of spots on my upper lip (1000+) and a smaller and more recently growing amount on my lower lip.

Now to the point: I have memories from a very young age when I would peel my lips of dry skin. The interesting thing is that since my upper lip has become full of fordyce spots, it absolutely never gets dry!
My lower lip on the other hand, get very dry, I have to apply vaseline to it several times a day or the skin dies and I have to peel it.

It is known that one of the roles of sebaceous glands is to lubricate the skin, so my idea was that perhaps due to overly dry skin, the body somehow compensates by overly developing these ectopic glands.

In addition, the biggest surge in my occurence of spots happend around the time when I was treated in Accutane (isotretinoin) for face acne, which as a side effect made my lips very dry.

What is your opinion?
Has anyone had a similar experience?

RE: The purpose of fordyce spots - Em3112 - 06-26-2019 12:05 PM

I have had thoughts in the same direction like you but it is hard to tell.. I used to be very affraid to get herpes (cold sore) on my lips and applied a lot of Anti herpes creme As a sort of safetynet. This creme has a drying function for the blisters that come with cold sore. theoretically it could be that my body was compensating the drying effect of the creme that I cleary (over)used.

On the other side I often think some people just have bad luck. Somehow the body "thinks" that it must place those glands on certain positions. Some people may try a certain procedure (TCA, Laser) with succes and complain that the spots "come back" after a while. They rule the procedure as not working. It could be that it are just new glands that are formed by your body.

While reading on this forum I am under the impression that some people take it way too far searching for influences for their spots. Like thinking that the amount of masturbation or sex would have an influence.
In general I think that people with this condition mostly have an oily skin, Me for sure. My overall skin condition is not influenced by the fact if I jerk off one time a week or 5.
The same goes for the spots I assume.

RE: The purpose of fordyce spots - Martimus - 06-27-2019 12:47 PM

Well Im not quite sure I understand you having increased production of fordyce spots while being under Accutane(Isotretinoin).
Isotretinoin reduces sebum production and should counter the spots being formed and their size. I have heard a lot of other people talking about them being almost spotless while on isotretinoin.
Im currently on a 20mg course every other day to see how it affects my spots.

RE: The purpose of fordyce spots - bb1122 - 06-27-2019 06:45 PM

(06-27-2019 12:47 PM)Martimus Wrote:  Well Im not quite sure I understand you having increased production of fordyce spots while being under Accutane(Isotretinoin).
Isotretinoin reduces sebum production and should counter the spots being formed and their size. I have heard a lot of other people talking about them being almost spotless while on isotretinoin.
Im currently on a 20mg course every other day to see how it affects my spots.

I'll clarify:
I'm not sure when exactly the biggest surge in my spots happend, but it was around the time I was 16, so it could be a little bit after the isotretinoin treatment, I'm not sure.

I'll be glad if you could share your results here since I consider trying isotretinoin in the near future. isn't 20mg too low though? I think you should use at least 0.5mg/kg for a strong effect.

RE: The purpose of fordyce spots - NoOne - 07-02-2019 02:06 AM

Hello guys, it is my first time posting here.

I also think it has something related to the oil skin.

Here a little bit of my experience:

My fordyce spots started at my 11 to 12 years, and at that time I didn't even masturbated yet.
I also made a treatment with accutane for my acne, for 8 months, the accutane got rid of all of my spots, I was all clean, but when i finished the treatment they all came back, a little bit worse.
I also tried NoFap for 90 days, and it didn't work.

Sorry for my bad inglish.