Fordyce Spots Support Forum
My approach using TCA 50% - Printable Version

+- Fordyce Spots Support Forum (http://www.fordycespotsforum.com)
+-- Forum: Fordyce Spots / Sebaceous Prominence (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Just on the lips? (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: My approach using TCA 50% (/showthread.php?tid=91429)

My approach using TCA 50% - anewapproach - 09-09-2018 11:14 AM

Hey guys. Long time lurker and thought I'd let you know my regime. I felt compelled to write after seeing how depressed it is making some of you.

Before I get to the TCA bit just a few basics.

Stop stressing out about these spots. When you are in front of a mirror every 5 minutes stretching your lips of course they are going to look bad. The reality is people don't focus in on your lips. The face is viewed as a whole. But i recognise we all want to improve our appearance which is why im posting. Also im not trying to minimise this, I just want to give you some perspective, to encourage you to be proportionate in your approach but also realistic

Ok the usual stuff first, exercise, drink a ton of water.

Every day use an exfoliating mix of lemon, sugar and honey. The purpose of this is to keep the lips soft but also to keep them looking pink and plump. I'm not suggesting this gets rid of the spots but it has the effect of creating less contrast between the skin and the spots, effectively helping to disguise them more. Lemon is a mild bleaching agent useful if your lips are on the darker side. It also primes the skin ready for the TCA.

Keep your lips moisturised with a good quality lip balm. A sheen on the lips also disguises spots due to the reflection.

Keep in mind that you are unlikely to ever win the battle against fordyces and this shouldn't be your goal. It is unrealistic and can lead to an all consuming obsession. That is when things can become dangerous. I want to reiterate this is not that big of a deal. People rarely notice them.

I want to give a battle analogy. Think of the spots as an invading army with vast overpowering numbers. Can you ever beat the army? Unlikely. Can you keep them at bay? Yes. Realistically the only time you are going to be rid of the invading forces is when they decided to leave. Similarly the spots are only likely to go for good due to an internal body change which is why healthy living is at least worth a shot and might lead to other positive changes.

Anyway lets get onto the good bit and there is good news regarding TCA 50%.

The acid does work and will clear all spots close to the surface. Some of the spots deeper in the tissue will not be tackled but the fact they are deeper down means they are not as visible anyway. Over time and with future TCA treatments you will be able to get at them.

Here is the good bit though. The treatment does not take you out of action for long and is therefore part of my regular routine ( every 2 months ).

I apply an initial layer of acid on saturday night a few hours before bedtime. The lips frost up almost instantly. Ten minutes later i apply one more layer but this is really only to ensure i covered every part. No need to neutralise as TCA self neutralises. It is painful but nothing you cant manage.

On sunday my lips look swollen and for want of a better description "dead looking", but you can still go out. Stick a ton of vaseline on to keep them soft and avoid splitting and to help the peel.

On monday the peel has started properly and yes you will look like freddy krueger and i advise perhaps a day off work. I call this part the Major Peel. The skin becomes very loose and hangs off. Later in the evening you can peel off a lot of the skin in the shower, it becomes very soft and just rubs off, don't force it though.

On tuesday more skin will come off in the shower. At this point the Major peel is done and your lips just look very pink and a bit raw looking. You can go out on Tuesday no problem. On wednesday we enter the minor peel phase, just normal, barely visible light peeling and your lips will look incredible, beautiful soft pink looking lips. In fact you will want to show off your lips to the world.

On Thursday they will be the best they have looked in years. The minor peel is still progress but its not noticeable, just very light surface peeling and only when you go up really close.

What is interesting about the TCA peel is that the acid from what i can tell is not actually destroying the spots. It appears to be destroying the spots home ie the surrounding skin. It is very satisfying to wake up and see spots lying dead on the surface of your skin which can be brushed away gently.

Throughout the process keep them moisturised. On the friday your lips have healed to the point you can start up the exfoliating process mentioned earlier. This is to keep them plump and pink as mentioned earlier. Continue to do this every day as part of your beauty regime.

This is a very repeatable process due to the fact that it doesn't take you out of action for long. You lose 2 days maximum. The only time you are going to be out of action for a long time is if you go crazy with it. Remember, balance!! This is not a quick fix, this is not about beating the spots this is about keeping the invaders at bay.

There are potential risks using TCA, and this is ultimately for you to decide, but i feel used carefully and responsibly the risk can be managed.

RE: My approach using TCA 50% - fordyce-slaughterer - 09-10-2018 07:17 PM

Very good post.

@John read this, everything explained.

From my perspective, it's like getting rid of old dirty skin using TCA. I also remember having lips like a 16 teen year old after the first treatment. My case was extremely bad and I couldn't believe the new sensation pressing the lips together.

What was for me astonishing, after the skin peels off, how much sebum was clogged inside the lips (known as Fordyce Spots, see my photo of yellow coverage). But I do believe, the TCA is able to destroy the roots of those sebaceous roots as you wouldn't archive any long-term results otherwise.

-Slaughterer

RE: My approach using TCA 50% - anewapproach - 09-10-2018 10:24 PM

(09-10-2018 07:17 PM)fordyce-slaughterer Wrote:  Very good post.

@John read this, everything explained.

From my perspective, it's like getting rid of old dirty skin using TCA. I also remember having lips like a 16 teen year old after the first treatment. My case was extremely bad and I couldn't believe the new sensation pressing the lips together.

What was for me astonishing, after the skin peels off, how much sebum was clogged inside the lips (known as Fordyce Spots, see my photo of yellow coverage). But I do believe, the TCA is able to destroy the roots of those sebaceous roots as you wouldn't archive any long-term results otherwise.

-Slaughterer

Hi Slaughterer ( great name by the way ). Glad you appreciated the post. And also a very informative thread you have. Quite brave and very good of you to post up the pics of what has been an emotional journey for the benefit of others.

Regarding the clogged oil inside the lips, i have reviewed your pics and i am unsure if that really is clogged oil. The reason i say this is because i too had something like that occur when i tried to squeeze the spots initially. I made a real mess of my lips and I believe it was the bodies reaction to extreme trauma, perhaps some sort of immune response which created pus. I have never experienced anything like that when using the tca. It may be that you are traumatising your lips too much by going too deep which is triggering that response. Of course i may be wrong, they are your lips and you know them better than i do.

We have also had different experiences with the healing process. With my peel it takes me out of action for two days max. With yours it takes a lot longer and i can only put that down to the fact that you are going in a lot harder than i am. I realise you are trying to achieve something quite different to me. I want to keep the invaders at bay whereas you want to eradicate them completely. But do we even know how deep the sebaceous roots are situated in the lips? I realise some spots do not return but is that indicative of the sebaceous root being destroyed? Maybe, maybe not.

I feel it is interesting to compare and contrast our respective approaches to this. Your one is very audacious and there is the possibility for great reward if it works. I just have concerns for the price you are paying while doing it. I also have concerns about you going in too deep and causing damage through infection.

My approach is more careful as it is only really a couple of layers of skin at a time. It keeps things under control with minimal impact on my life due to the shorter healing process. Also over time with repeat treatments there is perhaps the possibility to get closer to the sebaceous roots ( if indeed it is possible at all )

RE: My approach using TCA 50% - anewapproach - 09-13-2018 06:33 PM

Additional things I recommend.

1) Cold showers daily. 3 minutes at the end of your hot shower.
2) Lots of Veg. Some fruit.
3) Sudocreme on lips overnight once a week. This is typically used for nappy rash but has multiple uses. It is incredibly cheap and one tub will last you years.
4) Exercise.

RE: My approach using TCA 50% - john3500 - 09-13-2018 11:25 PM

Can you apply tca peel on the lower lips?

RE: My approach using TCA 50% - john3500 - 09-14-2018 04:20 AM

I just received my TCA 25% liquid today. The instructions say to wash off area after 3-4 minutes. If we are using this on the lips, do we wash off or just leave it there? For the tca?

RE: My approach using TCA 50% - john3500 - 09-14-2018 06:58 AM

Also, can you convert the 25% to 50% by applying more to the skin?

RE: My approach using TCA 50% - anewapproach - 09-14-2018 11:06 PM

Hi John.

Yes you can apply TCA to the lower lip.

You don't need to wash the tca off. The acid self neutralises.

You cannot convert 25% tca to fifty percent. Well in theory you could if you added 100% tca to the mix but that is another matter. The question is, can you match the performance of 50% tca by layering the acid? I have no experience in doing this but i would say that it is possible. The question for me would be when would you apply that second layer? My feeling is if you applied the second layer immediately after the initial peel then yes maybe. but that might prove to be dangerous because the skin is very delicate at that point.

RE: My approach using TCA 50% - john3500 - 09-15-2018 01:14 AM

Ok how many days do I wait before I apply another TCA layer if the first one didnt work? Because I just did a small amount test one last night just to test my skins reaction.....

RE: My approach using TCA 50% - anewapproach - 09-15-2018 08:17 AM

(09-15-2018 01:14 AM)john3500 Wrote:  Ok how many days do I wait before I apply another TCA layer if the first one didnt work? Because I just did a small amount test one last night just to test my skins reaction.....

i dont know im afraid cos iv never layered before.

Fordyces slaughterer mentioned that he layers so might be worth asking him.